Prof. VLADO MALAČIČ, PhD
+386 (0)5 923 29 04
Areas of interest:
Coastal waters dynamics
Physical oceanography of coastal waters
Prof. Dr. Vlado Malacic, Physics graduate, born in 1958 in Koper, Slovenia, is experienced in coastal oceanography and was invoked in national and international field surveys of the Gulf of Trieste (Alpe Adria campaigns, EU project Paloma). He obtained his B. Sc. Degree of physics (general branch) in 1981 and his M. Sc. Degree of mechanics (Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Ljubljana) in 1989, when he was studying the numerical modeling of 1-D mixed layer models at the University of Liege, Belgium. He obtained his Ph. D. of physics in 1993 (University of Zagreb).
As a physical oceanographer he continuously collaborates with marine biologists at his home institute, and with physical oceanographers at other institutes/universities. In December 2000 he acquired a position of scientific councillor. He was awarded several times by various sponsors to attain summer-schools and workshops on physical oceanography, also by the International Centre for Theoretical Physics in Trieste. He was a visiting scientists at Dartmouth College, US (ONR project, head: Prof. B. Cushman-Roisin) and in the Laboratory of Fluid Dynamics (head: Prof. G. J. van Heijst), Faculty of Physics at the University of Eindhoven (Netherlands). Within the last few years period he ran a research project related to numerical modeling of tidal dynamics of the northern Adriatic Sea, and a project related to the small scale dynamics of dispersion of sewage plume in the shallow coastal sea.
He was the head of the Instrumental Centre of MBS and is now in charge for the improvement of the Coastal Oceanographic Station Piran (COSP) that was set up in December 2000. He is guiding the build up of capacities of the National Oceanographic Data Centre, registered at IOC-UNESCO and is running the numerical modeling of coastal dynamics and applied research projects on sewage dispersion from submarine outfalls. He is responsible for the setup of a new laboratory of fluid dynamics with rotating table. His field of future interest is the oceanography of coastal waters and small scale dynamics.
He is the representative of slovenian part in the MedGOOS (Mediterranean Global Ocean Observing System) and MOON (Mediterranean Operational Oceanography Network) observing systems. He was driving the slovenian part of the international ADRICOSM project that comprises cruising and modeling activities, he is engaged in the EU MFSTEP project (modeling of tides in the Adriatic Sea), and runs activities related to operational oceanography. He was driving the EU Phare CBC project that is related to cross-border exchange of data collected with autonomous measurement devices that are placed in the Adriatic Sea (coastal oceanographic buoys).
Sem odgovoren za postavitev Obalne oceanografske postaje Piran, ki je pričela delovati v letu 2001 in zagotavlja neprekinjen niz podatkov o tokovih in vetrovih nad morjem. Vodim aktivnosti pri postavitvi Nacionalnega oceanografskega podatkovnega centra, numeričnega modeliranja dinamike obalnih voda in disperzije odplak v morje. Trenutno sem vpleten v pet projektov, nosilec sem štirih (vodja slovenskega dela regionalnega ADRICOSM projekta, vodja slovesnkega dela EU MFSTEP projekta, vodja slovenskega dela EU MAMA projekta, vodja aqplikativnega nacionalnega projekta (Modeliranje plimovanja in cirkulacije v Tržaškem zalivu, L1-5289).
ISMO - Informacijski Sistem o stanju Morskega Okolja v Tržaškem zalivu
Obalna oceanografska postaja - Piran
PHARE Sistem za neprekinjeno čezmejno izmenjavo ekoloških in oceanografskih podatkov
ADRICOSM - Adriatic sea integrated coastal zone management system
MFSTEP - Mediterranean Forecastin System Toward Environmental Predictions
MAMA - Mediterranean network to Assess and upgrade Monitoring and forecasting Activity in the region. MAMA is a first step of a process aiming at a basin scale cooperation to establish an ocean observing system in the region within the framework of the GOOS-Global Ocean Observing System.
Tsunami na Jadranu - Simulacija širjenja tsunamija, ki bi se generiral zaradi potresnega sunka pred Barom v Črni Gori, kjer je potresno aktivno območje.
Coastal waters dynamics, Physical oceanography of coastal waters
He has also assistant professorship of physics at the Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport (University of Ljubljana).
Tretjinsko dopolnilno delovno razmerje na Fakulteti za pomorstvo in promet, Univerza v Ljubljani, predavatelj dinamike pri predmetu: Mehanika in hidrodinamika, Visokošolski program ladijsko strojništvo.
He is a member of the Technical Group of Coordinated Adriatic Observing System, the C.I.E.S.M, the American Meteorological Society, the European Geophysical Society, member of the executive board of Slovenian Society of Geodesy and Geophysics, and the member of the board of National Commission of IOC.
SELECTED (NEWER) PUBLICATIONS
- F.M.Falcieri1, ..., V.Malačič, ...: Turbulence observations in the Gulf of Trieste under moderate wind forcing and different water column stratification, Mar 2016
- M.Ličer, ..., V.Malačič, ...: Modeling the ocean and atmosphere during an extreme bora event in northern Adriatic using one-way and two-way atmosphere–ocean coupling, Jan 2016
- V.Malačič, U.Martinčič, B.Petelin: Expert grounding for the implementation of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (2008/56/ES) in Slovenia (2014). Development of methodologies for evaluating effects on the ecosystem due to changes of hydrographical conditions in the sea environment – D7, Dec 2014
- F.Raicich, V.Malačič, ...: Extreme air-sea interactions in the Gulf of Trieste (North Adriatic) during the strong Bora event in winter 2012, Oct 2013
- S.Cosoli, M.Licer, M.Vodopivec, V.Malacic: Surface circulation in the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic Sea) from radar, model, and ADCP comparisons, Oct 2013
- H.Mihanović, ..., V.Malačič, ...: Exceptional dense water formation on the Adriatic shelf in the winter of 2012, May 2013
- V.Ramšak, V.Malačič, ...: High-resolution pollutant dispersion modelling in contaminated coastal sites, 2013
- V.Malačič: Od kocke ledu v kozarcu vode do dviga morske gladine zaradi taljenja ledenikov, Sep 2012
- V.Malačič, B.Petelin, M.Vodopivec: Topographic control of wind-driven circulation in the northern Adriatic, Mar 2012
- D.Žagar, V.Ramšak, B.Petelin, V.Malačič: Sediment transport modelling in the Koper bay (Northen Adriatic, Slovenia), 2012
- M.Jeromel, V.Malačič, J.Rakovec: Weibull distribution of bora and sirocco winds in the northern Adriatic Sea, May 2009
- V.Malačič, B.Petelin: Climatic circulation in the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic), Mar 2009
- T.Bajcar, V.Malačič, A.Malej, B.Širok: Kinematic properties of the jellyfish Aurelia sp., Sep 2008
- P.Mozetič, V.Malačič, V.Turk: A case study of sewage discharge in the shallow coastal area of the Northern Adriatic Sea (Gulf of Trieste), May 2008
- B.Bogunović, V.Malačič: Circulation in the Gulf of Trieste: Measurements and model results, Mar 2008
- X.H.Wang, N.Pinardi, V.Malačič: Sediment transport and resuspension due to combined motion of wave and current in the northen Adriatic Sea during a Bora event in January 2001: A numerical modelling study, Jan 2007
- V.Malačič, M.Celio, B.Čermelj, A.Bussani, C.Comici: Interannual evolution of seasonal thermohaline properties in the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic) 1991–2003, Aug 2006
- A.Crise, S.Querin, V.Malačič: A strong bora event in the Gulf of Trieste: a numerical study of wind driven circulation in stratified conditions with a preoperational model, 2006
- C.E.Dorman, ..., V.Malačič, ...: February 2003 marine atmospheric conditions and the bora over the northern Adriatic, 2006