Al Vrezec received his Ph.D. in 2004 in Biology from University of Ljubljana. He is currently Research Assistant at National Institute of Biology, Ljubljana, with broad research interests in ecology of terrestrial ecosystems, surface as well as subterranean, and ecosystem function with special emphasis put on direct and indirect interaction studies, e.g. competition, predation, mutualism, and population dynamics patterns. Most of his studies he conducted on birds (Aves) and beetles (Coleoptera). Vrezec is Vice President of BirdLife Slovenia, former Editor-in-Chief of the international ornithological journal Acrocephalus, member of Raptor Research Fundation, and Research Associate at the Global Owl Project. He actively participated at several international symposia and workshops in Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, France, Spain, and the Netherland. He made several research trips to Montenegro, Croatia and Finland. Animal ecology, taxonomy, biogeograpy and nature conservation is his main research interest.
- The influence of some ecological factors on the distribution of selected owl species (Strigidae) on Krim mountain: graduation thesis. Ljubljana, 2000
- Interspecific interactions between forest owls (Strigidae): dissertation thesis. Ljubljana, 2004
- VREZEC, A., KAPLA, A. 2007. Quantitative beetle (Coleoptera) sampling in Slovenia: a reference study. Acta entomol. slov. 15(2): 131-160. PDF
- VREZEC, A., TOME, D. 2004. Altitudinal segregation between Ural Owl Strix uralensis and Tawny Owl S. aluco : evidence for competitive exclusion in raptorial birds. Bird Study 51: 264-269. PDF
- VREZEC, A., TOME, D. 2004. Habitat selection and patterns of distribution in a hierarchic forest owl guild. Ornis Fenn. 81: 109-118. PDF
- postdoctoral project
- Monitoring of selected beetle species populations (2006-2007)
- Inspection of forest fragments at the area of different environmental intervations at Markovci pri Ptuji municipality with special emphasis put on Carabus variolosus (2006-2007)
- Inventarisation of flora and selected animal groups at Regional Park Boč in Rogaška Slatina municipality(2006).
- Preliminar conservation study at restricted range of Natura 2000 site Karavanke in three populated montane valleys in Tržič municipality including inventarisation of habitat types and qualification species (2006).
- Current situation and impact evaluation of gas conduit construction on beetle (Coleoptera) populations at M5/R51 Vodice-TE-TOL (2006)
- Conservation evaluation of beetle (Coleoptera) fauna at fishpond Vrbje (2006)