National Institute of Biology invites to participate a researcher at the beginning of his/her career
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BIOLOGY
VEČNA POT 111, 1000 LJUBLJANA
invites to participate,
within the framework of the Public Call for the Promotion of Researchers at the Beginning of Their Career 2.0, announced on 30.09. 2016 by the
Ministry of Education, Science and Sport (MISP),
A RESEARCHER AT THE BEGINNING OF HIS/HER CAREER
The work will be carried out at the National Institute of Biology in the laboratories of the Department of Biotechnology and Systems Biology (FITO). The candidate will be presented with the opportunity to work in a group of highly motivated and internationally engaged researchers with cutting-edge research equipment, and to advance in the scientific field as well as in the field of quality and personal growth (soft skills). FITO collaborates with several companies and institutions in Slovenia and abroad. The project is part of a broader research field of molecular diagnostics, based on new high-tech methodologies. The aim of our research project entitled “Detection of Rare Molecular Targets with a digital PCR” is to examine whether digital PCR is a suitable analytical tool for the field of transplantation medicine. The method will be validated on clinical samples of patients’ plasma after organ transplantation. The project’s activities will be an important contribution to the field of diagnostics in healthcare and will enable the transfer of innovative approaches from research laboratories to clinical practice. The work will be carried out by a team at FITO and in close cooperation with company GenePlanet. The work combines laboratory work (by following the principles of the quality assurance system), processing and interpreting results, preparing reports and working with clinical samples.
The participating researcher must meet the following requirements:
– successfully completed doctoral studies in the field of biological sciences (biotechnology, biochemistry, medicine, microbiology, biology, etc.) in the period between 1 January 2011 and 7 December 2016,
– knowledge in molecular biology (desirable knowledge of qPCR, ddPCR and understanding of NGS) as well as knowledge of computer programs for bioinformatics data processing,
– he or she must be self-motivated in project work, able to work in a team and enjoy applicable work as well as working with companies and clinics,
– on the day of the announcement of the MISP public call (i.e. 30 September 2016), he or she was not employed by the NIB,
– he or she was not co-financed by the funds of the Public Call for the Promotion of Researchers at the Beginning of Their Career, published in the Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia no. 69/2013 on 23 August 2013.
Full-time employment contract will be concluded for a limited period of time (replacement of longer sick leave and maternity leave), until 31.5. 2020.
Later, it will also be possible to extend the employment contract to work on another research project.
Applications, which must include:
– a curriculum vitae with appropriate references,
– a list of at least five of the most important research achievements (e.g. participation in projects or organizations, the publication of products, services, patents or other achievements, publications in leading international scientific journals, presentations at established international conferences, awards and recognitions...),
– letters of recommendation or contact details of his/her mentor or (previous) employer,
– a note on where he or she came across this call