dr. ANA ROTTER
+386 (0)5 9232 940
Areas of interest:
Experimental design and analysis of ecological data
Since March 2014: postdoctoral researcher at the Marine Biology Station. Research area: statistics – time series, network analysis
Since June 2011: postdoctoral researcher at the Department of biotechnology and systems biology. Research area: systems biology, statistics, network analysis, bioinformatics
2005 – May 2011: young researcher on statistics at the National Institute of Biology, Department of biotechnology and systems biology. Doctoral dissertation: »Development and implementation of systems biology tools: a case study of plant physiology data analysis«. Supervisor: prof. dr. Kristina Gruden, co-supervisor prof. dr. Andrej Blejec.
Since 2004: University of Ljubljana, Postgraduate study of statistics
2004 – 2005: employed in fish industry Delamaris d.d., where I worked in the quality control group and later also in the Division for environment and hygene. I implemented and applied environmental testings, monitored the waste water treatment and organized environmental reports as well as monitorings required by law
1996 – 2002: University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, interdisciplinary Microbiology programme. Diploma title: »Toxinotypization of Clostridium difficile strains from different countries«. We investigated if different C.difficile toxinotypes occur in different countries and which toxinotypes are prevalent in certain countries. The presence of the binary toxin in different samples was also assessed. Date of defence: 10.10.2002, supervisor: prof. dr. Maja Rupnik
1992 – 1996: Gimnazija Koper
Born April 78.
- Björn Usadel, Max Planck Golm, Germany. Collaboration was done in 2005 on the field of using bioinformatics with plant gene ontology
- Cornelis J. (Ron) van Noorden, AMC (Academisch Medisch Centrum) Amsterdam, the Netherlands on the field of biological interpretation of statistical analysis results – oncology. Collaboration started in 2011 and is still ongoing
ARRS (Slovene research council) projects:
|1||J2-5478||Development and applications of new semantic data mining methods in life sciences||1.8.2013―31.7.2016|
Cytothreat: Fate and effects of cytostatic pharmaceuticals in the environment and identification of biomarkers for an improved risk assessment on environmental exposure.
January 2011 – January 2015
BALMAS: Ballast water management system for Adriatic sea protection.
November 2013 – March 2016
COST network actions: genderSTE: gender, science, technology and environment (http://www.genderste.eu/)
November 2012 – November 2016
FIELD OF RESEARCH
- Biostatistics, experimental design, data analysis, counseling, bioinformatics, network analysis, databases, transcriptomics, MapMan
- I would like to know and use in practice as many classical statistical tools as possible. Here I mostly use the R, as for its wide usability spectra for statistical analyses but also because of its attractive visualization. I am interested in systems biology. My big ambition is to become a good analyst in the network biology area.
- Lately I have become acquainted with the issues regarding gender balance in science. For this reason I visited Norway in the period between September 2013 – October 2013 in order to compare the northern practice with the southern one. In general, there is unfortunately the so-called »sticky floors« and »glass ceilings« for women, who, compared with our male counterparts, climb the carrier ladder more slowly. I would like to inform my colleagues, male and female, about this unequal status.
- reviewer for Bioinformatics, BMC Bioinformatics, OMICS, Plant Physiology
- in 2011 I won the national award L'Oreal »For women in science« I am the trade union representative for SVIZ-NIB, covering the rights and duties for around 40 % of NIB personnel.
SELECTED (NEWER) PUBLICATIONS
1. RAMŠAK, Živa, BAEBLER, Špela, ROTTER, Ana, KORBAR, Matej, MOZETIČ, Igor, USADEL, Björn, GRUDEN, Kristina. GoMapMan : integration, consolidation and visualization of plant gene annotations within the MapMan ontology.Nucleic acids research, ISSN 0305-1048, 2014, 9 str, [in press], doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt1056. [COBISS.SI-ID 2966607]
2. PETEK, Marko, ROTTER, Ana, KOGOVŠEK, Polona, BAEBLER, Špela, MITHÖFER, Axel, GRUDEN, Kristina. Potato Virus Y infection hinders potato defence response and renders plants more vulnerable to Colorado potato beetle attack. Molecular ecology, ISSN 0962-1083, 2014, vol. , no. , 34 str., [in press], doi: 10.1111/mec.12932. [COBISS.SI-ID 3215695]
3. ŠMID, Ida, ROTTER, Ana, GRUDEN, Kristina, BRZIN, Jože, BUH GAŠPARIČ, Meti, KOS, Janko, ŽEL, Jana, SABOTIČ, Jerica. Clitocypin, a fungal cysteine protease inhibitor, exerts its insecticidal effect on Colorado potato beetle larvae by inhibiting their digestive cysteine proteases. Pesticide biochemistry and physiology, ISSN 0048-3575, [in press] 2014, 21 str., doi: 10.1016/j.pestbp.2014.12.022. [COBISS.SI-ID 28231719]