Lecture by Prof. Dr. Wonchoel Lee
National Institute of Biology kindly invites you to attend the lecture:
Survey on the meiofauna community in the coastal regions of Korea as a part of "National Investigation on Marine Ecosystem"
by: Prof. Dr. Wonchoel Lee
Department of life science, College of natural sciences, Hanyang University , Seoul 133-791, Korea
The lecture will take place on Friday, the 18th April 2014, at 10 a.m. in the Lecture Hall of the Marine Biology Station, Fornaèe 41, Piran.
"National Investigation on Marine Ecosystem" is obligatory survey on the coastal marine ecosystem in Korea by the law of "Conservation and Management of Marine Ecosystem". The survey is carried out along all over the coastal area of Korea at ten years interval by the law since 2005. The survey since 2007 includes meiofauna and continually reports information on Meiofauna community. The whole Korean coastal regions were divided to the eight regions and the eighth region is surveying currently in 2013. Until year 2012, 28 families 98 genus 200 species of copepods, 32 families 111 genus 122 species of nematodes, and 21 families 27 genus 49 species of foraminiferans were identified through the survey. Nearly 90% of the identified meiofaunal organisms seem to be new to science in the survey. The survey also reports density, biomass, and seasonal distribution of meiofauna community in Korea.
About the lecturer:
Extensive research experience on marine benthic and planktonic copepods, in particular meiofaunal harpacticoids from both littoral and deep sea sediments, and hydrothermal vents and cold-seeps; collaborated works on the eco-toxicology in aquatic invertebrates and taxonomy and ecology of cave animals including terrestrial spiders and insects; resulting in 121 scientific publications in international and local journals on the systematics, ecology and phylogeny.
Name Professor WONCHOEL LEE Ph D.
Laboratory of Biodiversity, Department of life science, Hanyang University, Seoul 133-791, Korea
Home page: http://www.copepoda.net
Tel. ++82+2-2220-0951, 1704
Member of Pool of Expert for “Regular Process”, United Nations 2013~
Organizer for Fiftimco (Fifteen International Meiofauna Conference) in 2013 Korea
Organizer for 12th International Copepoda Conference in 2014 Korea
Editor in Chief, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology
PI “BK21 Plus, Eco-Bio Fusion Research Team, Hanyang University”
(2013: 345 million KRW/year)
PI “Discovery of endemic species in Korea [Invertebrate part]” 2011~
(2013: 503 million KRW)
PI “National Marine Life Collection [World habitat part]” 2011 (264 million KRW)
Please Check Zootaxa issue at http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/list/2012/3368.html/
Extensive research experience on marine benthic and planktonic copepods, in particular meiofaunal harpacticoids from both littoral and deep sea sediments, and hydrothermal vents and cold-seeps; collaborated works on the eco-toxicology in aquatic invertebrates and taxonomy & ecology of cave animals including terrestrial spiders and insects; resulting in 121 scientific publications in international and local journals on the systematics, ecology and phylogeny.
Feb 1988 B.SC. Hanyang University Seoul Korea
Feb 1990 M.SC Hanyang University Seoul Korea
Title for thesis: Ecological studies on copepod community in Masan Bay Korea
Feb 1994 Ph D Hanyang University Seoul Korea
Title for thesis: Taxonomical studies on marine harpacticoid copepods in Korean Waters
- Mar 2013 - present Member of Pool of Expert for Regular Process Global Reporting and Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment, Including Socio-economic Aspects, United Nations.
- Sep 2013 - present PI (Project leader) BK21 Plus Eco-Bio Fusion Research Team
- Jul 2014 Organizer, 12th International Conference on Copepoda
- Apr 2014 Co-editor, Special Issue of the journal, Proceedings of Biological Society of Washington, “Proceedings of 15th International Meiofauna Conference”
- Jan 2014 - Dec 2016 Chairperson (President), International Association of Meiobenthologists
- July 2013 Organizer, 15th International Meiofauna Conference
- Jun 2012 - Present Editor in Chief, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology
- July 2012 Co-editor, Special Issue of Zootaxa, “Biodiversity of Invertebrates in Korea”
- Mar 2011 - Feb 2013 PI (Project Leader) BK21 Life & Climate Change Team
- Sep 2007 - present Professor Dept. of Life Science, Hanyang University Seoul
- Sep 2010 - Aug 2014 Chair, Department of Environmental Science, Hanyang University
- Mar 2009 - Feb 2013 Chairman, Education Committee for Medical School Candidates from undergraduate of Hanyang University
- May 2004 - Jun 2006 Editor in Chief, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology
- Sep 2003 - Aug 2005 Chair, Department of Life Science, Hanyang University
- Sep 2001 - Aug 2007 Associate Professor Dept. of Life Science, Hanyang University Seoul
- Jul 2007 - Aug 2008 Visiting Faculty, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- May 2000 - Aug. 2001 Post Doc. University of Texas at Austin, Marine Research Institute
- Oct 1999 - Apr 2000 Post Doc. Polar Research Center, KORDI
- Jun 1997 - Sep 1999 Visiting Fellow in The Natural History Museum, London
- Dec 1995 - Jan 1997 Researcher in 9th over-winter party at King Sejong Station, Korea Antarctic Base
- May 1994 - Apr 1997 Post Doc. in Polar Research Center, Korea Ocean Research & Development Institute (KORDI)
- Mar 1994 - Aug 1994 Part time Lecturer in Department of Biology, Hanyang University
- Mar 1993 - Feb 1994 Research assistant in Department of Biology, Hanyang University
pripravila: dr. Mateja Grego