WG Physical oceanography
Our research area is mainly physical oceanography of coastal waters. We are engaged in both experimental oceanography and modeling in coastal waters, including the exploration of the dynamics of water masses, which is based on data from operational oceanography, that is, the numerical forecasting. We are engaged in data mining of oceanographic data and combining the oceanographic knowledge with the ecological dynamics and sediment transport.
- research of water mass and sediment dynamics in coastal seas using high resolution numerical models
- numerical forecasting of water mass and sediment dynamics in coastal seas
- analysis of measured oceanographic data and results of numerical models using statistical and machine learning methods
- numerical modelling of water mass and sediment dynamics with high resolution numerical models, applied for planning of mariculture, deposition of dredged sediments in navigable waterways, outfalls and dilution of sewage and storm water runoffs
- acquisition, quality control and cleaning of oceanographic measurement data
- application of statistical and machine learning methods to oceanographic measurements and numerical modelling results in forecast of sea-surface elevation
- analysis of time series of oceanographic data in estimates of climatic trends of sea-surface elevation, temperature and salinity
- providing measurement data and metadata to various international infrastructures that allow users to access this data
Dr. Martin Vodopivec, Scientific Associate, Head of WG Physical oceanography
Dr. Branko Čermelj, Research Counsellor
Dr. Matjaž Ličer, Scientific Associate
Dr. Boris Petelin, Research Associate
Coastal Sea Research – ARRS Research Programme P1-0237
Erosion in Coastal Seas and Navigable Rivers - ARRS Research Project J2-9444
1.9.2018 - 31.08.2021
Developing a sustainable model for the growth of the "green port" - ARRS Research Project L7-1847
1.7.2019 - 30.06.2022
MED OSMOSIS - Mediterranean governance for Strategic Maritime Surveillance and Safety issues
01. 11. 2019 - 30. 06. 2022
GreenHull – Green technologies for ecological cleaning of the biological incrustation on hulls in the Northern Adriatic Sea
01.03.2020 – 31.5.2022
Sharemed – Sharing and enhancing capabilities to address environmental threads in Mediterranean Sea (new HF radar for measurements of sea-surface currents over the Guls of Trieste 105,000 €).
01.10.2019 – 30.06.2022
SMS - Sensing toxicants in Marine waters makes Sense using biosensors (FP7-OCEAN)
1.8.2013 – 31.8.2017
SeaDataCloud: Further developing the pan-European infrastructure for marine and ocean data management - H2020-INFRAIA-2016-2017
HarmoNIA – Harmonization and Networking for contaminant assessment in the Ionian and Adriatic Seas
1. 2. 2018 - 30. 11. 2019
EMODNET CHEMISTRY 3 – DG MARE
EMODNET DATA INGESTION – DG MARE
ŽUST, Lojze, FETTICH, Anja, KRISTAN, Matej, LIČER, Matjaž. HIDRA 1.0 : deep-learning-based ensemble sea level forecasting in the northern Adriatic. Geoscientific model development. Apr. 2021, ISSN 1991-959X, vol. 14, no. 4, str. 2057-2074. https://gmd.copernicus.org/articles/14/2057/2021/, DOI: 10.5194/gmd-14-2057-2021.
QUERIN, Stefano, COSOLI, Simone, GERIN, Riccardo, LAURENT, Célia, MALAČIČ, Vlado, PRISTOV, Neva, POULAIN, Pierre-Marie. Multi-platform, high-resolution study of a complex coastal system : the TOSCA experiment in the Gulf of Trieste. Journal of marine science and engineering, April 2021, ISSN 2077-1312, 2021, vol. 9, no. 5, str. 1-28. https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/9/5/469, DOI: 10.3390/jmse9050469.
RUBINO, Angelo, GAČIĆ, Miroslav, BENSI, Manuel, KOVACEVIC, Vedrana, MALAČIČ, Vlado, MENNA, Milena, NEGRETTI, Maria Eletta, SOMMERIA, Joel, ZANCHETTIN, Davide, BARRETO, Ricardo V., URSELLA, Laura, CARDIN, Vanessa, CIVITARESE, Giuseppe, ORLIĆ, Mirko, PETELIN, Boris, SIENA, Giuseppe. Experimental evidence of long-term oceanic circulation reversals without wind influence in the North Ionian Sea. Scientific reports. 2020, vol. 10, str. 1-9. ISSN 2045-2322. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-57862-6, DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-57862-6
BARTH, Alexander, ALVERA-AZCÁRATE, Aida, LIČER, Matjaž, BECKERS, Jean-Marie. DINCAE 1.0 : a convolutional neural network with error estimates to reconstruct sea surface temperature satellite observations. Geoscientific model development. 2020, vol. 13, iss. 3, str. 1609-1622, ilustr. ISSN 1991-959X. DOI: 10.5194/gmd-13-1609-2020.
LIČER, Matjaž, ESTIVAL, Solène, REYES-SUAREZ, Catalina, DEPONTE, Davide, FETTICH, Anja. Lagrangian modelling of a person lost at sea during the Adriatic scirocco storm of 29 October 2018. Natural hazards and earth system sciences. 2020, vol. 20, iss. 8, str. 2335-2349, ilustr. ISSN 1561-8633. DOI: 10.5194/nhess-20-2335-2020.
MALAČIČ, Vlado, ŽAGAR, Nedjeljka. Seawater icicles of the Adriatic Sea. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 100, no. 6, str. 987-994, ISSN 0003-0007, 2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-18-0118.1, DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-18-0118.1.
PETELIN, Boris, KONONENKO, Igor, MALAČIČ, Vlado, KUKAR, Matjaž. Frequent subgraph mining in oceanographic multi-level directed graphs. International journal of geographical information science. 2019, vol. 33, no. 10, str. 1936-1959. ISSN 1365-8816. DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2019.1599124.
MALAČIČ, Vlado. Wind direction measurements on moored coastal buoys. Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology, vol. 36, no. 7, str. 1401-1418, ISSN 0739-0572, 2019. https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JTECH-D-18-0171.1, DOI: 10.1175/JTECH-D-18-0171.1.
GENOV, Tilen, ANGELINI, Valeria, HACE, Ana, PALMISANO, Giuseppe, PETELIN, Boris, MALAČIČ, Vlado, PARI, Sauro, MAZZARIOL, Sandro. Mid-distance re-sighting of a common bottlenose dolphin in the northern Adriatic Sea: insight into regional movement patterns. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. 2016, letn. 96, št. 4, str. 909-914, ilustr. ISSN 0025-3154. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=10308967&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0025315415001241, DOI: 10.1017/S0025315415001241.
LEGI Laboratoire des Ecoulements Géophysiques et Industriels http://www.legi.grenoble-inp.fr/web/?lang=en
ARSO Slovenian Environment Agency http://www.arso.gov.si/en/
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering https://www.en.fgg.uni-lj.si/
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport https://www.fpp.uni-lj.si/en
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Computer and Information Science https://www.fri.uni-lj.si/en
Javno podjetje OKOLJE Piran d.o.o. (Public Municipal Enterprize OKOLJE d.o.o.) https://okoljepiran.si/
Javni zavod za spodbujanje podjetništva in razvojne projekte, Občina Izola (EUSAIR Facility Point, Community of Izola) https://izola.si/zivljenje-v-izoli/gospodarstvo-in-javna-podjetja/javni-zavod-za-spodbujanje-podjetnistva-in-razvojne-projekte/
In the photos (left to right and top to bottom):
1. Tihomir Makovec (right) and Vlado Malačič (left) on board the research vessel URANIA in February 2014 (photo by URANIA staff). The MSS90 probe was used to measure turbulence in the northern Adriatic. (Photo: archive MBS)
2. The Day of open doors 2018 (Photo: archive MBS)
3. The Day of open doors 2018 (Photo: archive MBS)
4. Raging "bora" at Piran Punta in February 2015 (Photo: Tihomir Makovec)
5. Photo of ice candles from seawater on the railing of a riverside staircase leading to the sea of the Gulf of Piran (Gulf of Trieste, 45.52° N). The picture was taken at 13:00 UTC on 27 February 2018, just two days after a sharp drop in temperatures in the area. The typical dimensions of the fence are 3.9 m in length and 1 m in height, and the diameter of the pipe is 0.05 m. (Photo: Tihomir Makovec). Published in Malačič V. in N. Žagar, 2019. Seawater Icicles of the Adriatic Sea. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society (BAMS), June 2019, 987-994, https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/100/6/bams-d-18-0118.1.xml
6. Simulation of surface sea currents in moderate "bora" and higher tides using the Delft3D numerical model (Figure: Boris Petelin)
7. The impact force of the waves of a dead wave eroding the shoreline. (Photo: archive MBS)
8. The impact force of the waves of a dead wave eroding the shoreline. (Photo: archive MBS)